Sunday 23 November 2008

My favourite picture in the World Press Photo 2008

At the moment the touring World Press Photo is in CCCB in Barcelona. It shows the winning pictures of the annual competition with the same name and tours 100 different cities only on condition that the photos can't be censured.

One of the pictures I have found more shocking is this of the massacre of gorillas in Virunga Park in the Republic of Congo, where more than half of the world’s remaining population of gorillas is found. In 2007, ten endangered mountain gorillas were killed. It seems that the killings were perpetrated by traders who want to exploit the forests, the gorillas' natural habitat, to obtain charcoal. The killings were a warning addressed to rangers who take care of the area and who have attempted to crack down on charcoal trade.

This is only one in a series of pictures by photojournalist Brent Stirton.If you visit his website, you’ll see how impressive these creatures are and you’ll be able to realise the cruelty of the tragic event.

I think some of you were also planning to visit the exhibition. Why don't you tell us about your favourite picture?

1 comment:

Asia Mioduszewska said...

I knew that people are cruel but I was really shocked when I saw those fotos... I don't understand how they could look into their eyes and then to hurt them so much... it's terrible... I wasn't able to watch all of the fotos :( poor animals:(