Tuesday 25 November 2008

Day for the eradication of violence against women

Amnesty International - stop violence against women

Behind the wall by Tracy Chapman

Last night I heard the screaming/ Loud voices behind the wall/ Another sleepless night for me/ It won't do no good to call/ The police/ Always come late/ If they come at all

And when they arrive/ They say they can't interfere/ With domestic affairs/ Between a man and his wife/ And as they walk out the door/ The tears well up in her eyes

Last night I heard the screaming/ Then a silence that chilled my soul/ I prayed that I was dreaming/ When I saw the ambulance in the road

And the policeman said/ I'm here to keep the peace/ Will the crowd disperse/ I think we all could use some sleep

1 comment:

Pilar Pérez said...

Mònica,
I love this song. I once worked on it with my students of 2nd Batxillerat and I think now it's time to recover it an make them become aware that this is a real problem that seems to have no end. Thank you for reminding me.