Sunday 29 March 2009

Olsztyn, which you won’t find in any guidebook

Our group decided to show you round our city. But our aim is not to make you fall asleep, so we’ll do it in alternative way. It’s our own look at Olsztyn:

We started out trip with an interview with the Saint Jacob – our patron saint. He was not very talkative. We only found out that Olsztyn as a city came into being in 1353. Anyway, it wasn’t too much, but that’s our first fact! We continued the trip.

Our next target was the Prussian Lady (old, primitive statue from Middle Ages) – very old citizen of our town. Surprisingly she was not very talkative, and the only thing she said was…unexpectedly that Olsztyn was founded in 1353….

A bit resigned and disappointed, we continued the journey.

Near the castle, we met Copernicus - Polish astronomer who produced a workable model of the solar system with the sun in the center. But we decided not to make our previous mistake. We tried to force him to answer our questions. Even with a weapon aimed at him, he didn’t say a word… At that point we decided not to ask stones anymore…

…BUT we saw Adam Mickiewicz’s (a great polish poet, who is even known by your Spanish Teacher - he told us when we were at your school xD) memorial statue. He is a patron of the oldest school in Olsztyn: High School nr 1. So he told us something about education.

In Poland we have 2 levels of obligatory education: primary school (6 years) and secondary school (3 years, obligatory). The next step is high school (3 or 4 years) and later of course universities etc… no I think it’s not interesting…xD.

Maybe let’s focus on our own considerations…

Piotrek (17): We can say that our town is small, boring etc… but it has its own climate. I love walking around the Old Town and a park. I have so many good memories connected with Olsztyn that I feel really comfortable there.

Michał(16): I live in Barczewo, not in Olsztyn. But this city is my ‘second house’. I spend a lot of time here: sitting at school, meeting with my friends etc...

Ola (18): I live in Barczewo too, and if somebody proposed me moving to Olsztyn, I’d say ‘yes’ in the same moment.

Asia (18): I like Olsztyn even if inspectors catch me without ticket in the bus from time to time, even if there’s a lot of traffic jams exactly when I want to come back home and even if the pavements ‘seems like a Swiss cheese’.

So, our trip through Olsztyn was very interesting, even if we talked with boring citizens of this city xD.

made by: Asia (interviewer), Ola, Piotrek and Michał

alternative guide - alternative microphone :D

6 comments:

Mònica Villanueva Benet said...

I love the pictures and your journalistic style. It's really fresh and it isn't boring at all. Positive!!!
I remember Copernicus.The most photographed bloke in the whole of town.

Pilar Pérez said...

Who said culture is boring? It all depends on the eyes of the beholder. Your city is fantastic. I also like hanging around the old city. Very good article.

Asia Mioduszewska said...

haha we're profesionals in 100% xD that was an interesting trip with carrot, cucumber and banana... but I miss the carrot:(:P

Marcin Szmyt said...

Hope you really are professional journalists and more articles will appear on the blog soon:-)

Asia Mioduszewska said...

okay, okay, don't worry;) we're collecting new materials:P

Gerard Josep said...

hello teacher!!!!!!!!
i like These statues